motion_notify_event too slow/skips

When I compile and run the Scribble sample code, the motion_notify_event responds slowly, which causes the drawing pen to "skip", even if I remove the GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK.  Is there a way to speed up this response time, or do I just have to "manually" connect the dots if I'm writing a drawing/painting application?  Looking at the behavior of GIMP, I'm guessing that I'll need to "manually" connect the dots, but I'd like some confirmation on this before implementing the code.

Thanks,
Spencer Berry