Theming an application

I'm new to this tool kit and I'm stumbling along so any tips will be
greatly appreciated.

I want to apply a GTK theme to an application.  I'm to the point where I
understand it has something to do with gtkrc files, but I'm not clear on
exactly how to code it up.

I want to control the theme on an application level.  (Its a long story
but the applications will be running natively on Linux while being used
on windows XP)

Can anyone provide an example of code that sets the theme on an
application?

Cheers