Re: When is g_object_ref needed ?

Frédéric Terraza wrote:
Hello,

I must use g_object_unref to free a gdk or a gtk object. There are lots of deprecated functions that are now replaced by g_object_unref (such as g_pixmap_unref, gdk_gc_unref).

But must I use g_object_ref after the creation of a pixmap or a gc, since there used to be g_pixmap_ref and g_gc_ref functions ?

Yes,
  they GdkPixmap & GdkGC are GObjects so they need to be unreffed.
(and the correct way to do this is to use g_object_unref).

Cheers,
                      -Tristan

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Bitmaps-and-Pixmaps.html#gdk-pixmap-unref