How to determine if a GObject is "contained"?

L.S.,

I'm writing a language binding for mzscheme to Gtk. I recently
derived a method to do memory mangement for GtkObject and
GObjects. An artikle about it can be read here:

http://www.elemental-programming.org/mzgtk2-mzgtk2-memory-management.html

There is however one case, where I'm in trouble. See "The containment assumption falsified"
in this artikle. Now I have one burning question:

Is there a decision procedure to determine if some GtkObject or
GObject contains an other GObject? E.g., a GtkImage object will
contain a GdkPixmap. When asked for, with gtk_image_get_pixmap,
the reference count of the returned GdkPixmap will be 1. If my typemapper
can decide somehow (e.g. by questioning the GdkPixmap GObject) that
it is contained withing another object (the GtkImage GObject), my typemapper
can increase the reference count by 1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema