Re: Question

On Thursday 10 November 2005 10:16, Surya Kiran Gullapalli wrote:
> > Did you run gnome-settings-daemon  ?
>
> And that is my point, i've to run one or the other of gnome
> applications, (gnome-font-properties as i've mentioned in my previous
> mail, ultimately starts gnome-settings-daemon). I cannot get the
> clearlooks (or whatever theme) for my gtk application, with out running
> gnome-settings-daemon.

What a curious point.  You want your program to display itself using a GNOME
theme but you don't want to run any GNOME daemons to do it.  It is a bit like
complaining that you cannot run a KDE program without the KDE libraries
installed.

Actually, GTK+ is a little more accommodating than KDE, because you can set
styles and fonts and the like by hand by amending or providing
{gtkdir}/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc to specify them.

But as someone else has pointed out, it is better to start
{gnomedir}/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon in the start-up script for whatever
environment you are running your GTK+ applications in (such as the startkde
script), which will pick up all your GNOME settings, including fonts and
styles.  You do not explain why you have a problem with that.

Chris