Re: glib 1.2.10 compile problem?

On Thu, 05 May 2005 15:31:12 +0800, Xu Qiang said:
> Now I met another problem: although there is no error now, a warning is harassing me:

> *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
> *** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.

Just as a wild guess, I wonder if doing 'export LANG=C' (for bash) or
'setenv LANG C' (for those *csh types out there) fixes this issue.

I've seen cases where a localized variant of 'file' (or other similar tool)
will be looking at $LANG to see what language to use, decide to use (for
example) French text in the messages - and some tool that's grepping the
output expecting to see English text.

What happens if you say:  "file /lib/libc.so*" (pick a known working
shared library on your system)