Re: static linking

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 04:16:42PM +0200, riboaz xs4all nl wrote:
> so my question remains: is it possible? was it ever thought of in the gtk+
> design to allow for this possibility?  or is it such that because the
> resulting static application would be necessarily "heavy" (or for any
> number of other reasons) this is simply not possible?

there was some discussion on the list sometime in the last 4 months
about this.  I've never tried it myself but I get the feeling that most
libraries can be statically linked.  Matthias metioned that some libs
are dlopened at run-time though.  I imagine those libs cannot be
statically linked and will simply have to be shipped with your
application and installed in the proper place by whatever installation
utility you're using...  which begs the question....   why not just
install gtk+ as part of your installation routine?

- Ben