Re: how to get rid of mouse-over button color?

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 11:40 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >A custom theme could do whatever it wants ... both pieces of information
> >are passed to it. state_type and shadow_type.
>
> OK, so it can be fixed by a custom theme, but not just by a custom RC
> file, and therefore still remains a problem for almost all apps. I
> don't of many (any?) apps that ship with a custom theme, whereas quite
> a few do use their own RC file. The design of those files still
> implies that prelight is a separate state from active/normal, rather
> than a flag set "on top" of those states.

"Touchscreen" really isn't an application issue. If an application
changed the prelight behavior of GTK+ without being part of an
isolated system, that would be quite broken.

GtkStateType is one of the decisions we've been pretty much stuck
with since the beginning of GTK+ (before I got involved, even)... it
would have required a lot of work at that GTK+-2.0 point to change
it, and we were pretty busy with other stuff then :-)

The different states of GtkStateType really don't have any other
meaning than "visual color" ... look at the use of ACTIVE for the
*unselected* tabs of GtkNotebook and the trough of the scrollbar.

> >I've expressed multiple times recently a willingness to have a=20
> >global "touchscreen-mode" toggle for GTK+. If someone was willing to
> >do the work.
>
> How much work do you think is involved?

Adding the toggle - 20 minutes.

Implementing features based on the toggle ... depends on the features
you want. Turning off all mouse-over effects based on the toggle is
probably a few hours, but other things have been mentioned.

Regards,
					Owen