Re: Why floating point for widget positions

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 13:59 -0500, Mike Emmel wrote:
> I've noticed that the GdkEventMotion x y positions are given in
> floating point coordinates and was wondering why ?
>
> I've looking at GTK for embedded use and this is and issue.

There is no *conceivable* way that cast two doubles to ints per
motion event is going to cause problems, even on a relatively
slow processor without floating point.

The use of doubles for layout computation (GtkAlignment, say)
could be more of an issue, but I haven't seen a lot of reports
of problems from this.

Cairo, coming in GTK+-2.8, is obviously going to be a *lot*
more of an issue, but I don't really have a good answer there.
It's at least fixed point when you get down to rasterization,
but there is a lot of affine transformation before then.

Regards,
					Owen