gtkfixed in gtkwindow offset in top left corner

Hello,
This is my first post to the list and I am just starting out. I am doing something very simple for the moment. I am running GTK+-2.4.14, patched with directfb. Everything seems to be in order so far. My problem is, I create a gtk window and put a fixed into it.
Does the fixed take up the entire window size?

I am putting gtk images into the fixed and placing them but here is the big kicker. If I place on at 0, 0 it is not in the corner, it is offset by like 10x10. I am guessing it is in 0,0 of the gtk fixed but the
fixed is not in the corner of the gtk window.

I have a rc file I am using but I don't see anything in there that would cause this. I don;t know if it
includes a default rc automatically.  Any help here would be appreciative!

Thanks,

Jeff