something's wiping out my SIGALRM handler...

I'm using setitimer() to run certain callbacks after a given interval.
(you might suggest that I use g_timeout_add() instead and not worry
about it...  and I may end up doing that, but not now.)

using setitimer has been working pretty well, until just recently.  I'm
not sure what happened, but it may have something to do with the apt-get
update I did a little while ago.  My timers have started working less
reliably and a few times today I've seen my application exit after
printing "Alarm clock"...  a string I found in the glib library in a
function called g_strsignal().

so...  as always, I could be wrong, but it kinda looks like glib is
messing with the SIGALRM signal and spoiling my fun.  surprises!  I love
'em.  ;)  who knows something about how glib messes with signals?  are
there docs?

Thanks,

- Ben