Re: GTK+ 2 speed

> You're right, I went back and fiddled with my system a lot.  The redraw
> is slow on that particular operation because of some aspect X not
> because of GTK+ (or GNOME).

Well this really depends. Windows does some (cheap) sort of
composition, so when moving windows arround the application itself is
not forced to redraw its components - so this is simply not fair when
comparing windows with X-based toolkits.
If you use X with a composition manager (xcompmgr -a) it shows equal
moving performance to windows.

However there ARE X-Toolkits which handle redraws much better/faster
than GTK on X, so X is no excuse for GTKs slowness, especially if you
keep in mind that font-operations on client-side fonts are almost free
and the primitive-rendering throughput of X is quite good.

lg Clemens