RE: [gtkextra] No text is drawn

I remember reading that this is a bug in gnome that propagates through
Pango. Gtk-Extra is not dependent on Gnome, but version 2.x is dependent on
Pango which in turn uses some sort of global font settings from GNOME. That
is why if you don't gane the gnome-settings-daemon running the fonts don't
show up. I also remember that the Mandrake people had placed a request to
fix the bug in the GNOME bug tracker. Not sure where that ended up at. I
also wrote a utility that uses gtkextra to do the plotting and the way I got
around it was by adding the code from GtkExtra 1.x that handles the fonts
into the GtkExtra 2.x source. Then using preprocessor code (#if #endif) I
can switch between the Pango and non Pango font handling. This works really
well for us but I don't think it would be appropriate to include into the
gtkextra development. On the other hand it would be easy to remove once the
GNOME/Pango issue is resolved.

This requires about a day of work to do and test. I did not implement this
all accross the GtkExtra libraries, for example the font chooser, but it is
worth the effort.

-MQ