Question about keystroke-driven usage.

I'm porting a curses game to gtk; the game is presently controlled through keystrokes ("F" to fly, "q" to quaff, etc.) I'm working on menu items to make those actions available, but frequently used commands (motion, etc.) will probably be done mainly through the keyboard. Is it a suboptimal implementation for commands the player will use again and again to make the keystrokes work through the access key modifier (so striking "F" makes the player fly through the menu)? Is that the best way, or should I be using another mechanism?

--
++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan hayward pobox com
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,

** If you'd like a Google Mail ( gmail.com) account, please tell me!