Creating a new cairo-based engine

Hi there,

I've heard this rumor that GTK+ 2.7 supports Cairo. Since I'm kinda
into creating GTK+ engines, I'd like to give this new feature a try.
Problem is, I'm not sure where to start.

I found cairo-gtk-engine, but it seems to create a new cairo context
for every new drawing event. I'm not sure, but I think this would
probably work on a non-cairo based GTK+ as well, am I right?

I was under the impression that GTK+ now supports a Cairo backend
natively, so that there's no need to create a new Cairo context, but
rather use the one supplied by GTK+.  Am I wrong believing this?

Anyway, I hope someone with better knowledge on this issue could clear
this up for me. I'm dying to experiment with some crazy things, so I'd
like some help to get me started.

Kind regards,
Richard Stellingwerff.