Re: performance, gscanner.c and XML reads

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 09:12 -0500, ANDREW MARLOW, BLOOMBERG/ LONDON OF
wrote:
> I have a large XML file and it takes quite a long time
> for gscanner to read it. Using quantify shows that
> several calls to read are made. I wonder if things can
> be sped up by allowing the caller to specify the
> buffer size used for read? Currently this is set
> by a macro in gscanner.c to 4000 bytes.
> I would like to use a larger value when I am
> using a larger XML file. Any thoughts?

GScanner or GMarkup? GMarkup is the XML subset parser in GLib.
But you feed text to it yourself so you can pick the chunk
size.

In terms of gscanner, I think the first step would be to try
to recompile GLib with the buffer size increased and see if it
actually the bottleneck. It's not obvious to me that that
would be the case ... there will be buffering and read-ahead
at the OS level and system calls are pretty fast.

Regards,
						Owen