Re: Refdbg and GObject 2.6.x

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 23:38 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Ahhh, I didn't get that the first time.  Thanks for the clarification,
> > although I'm somewhat unhappy to hear that.  I guess thats the trade off
> > for speed.  So refdbg can't support gobject 2.6.x then and developers
> > will need to use gobject 2.4.x in order to debug their programs.  Ahh
> > well, thats the way it goes.  Any possibility that there could be a
> > build time option of making it possible to hook these functions or are
> > there other reference count debuggers out there or anything built in to
> > gobject that would aid the developer in this often complicated task?
> > 	Josh Green
>

> If you configure glib with --disable-visibility, the internal aliases
> are not created, which should allow refdbg to function as it did in
> 2.4.x.
>
> Matthias

Nice to hear.  This stuff is all rather new to me, so I'll read up on it
so I'm better informed.  Ideally I'd like to see run time detection of
this feature, so that refdbg can disable itself and complain to the user
before dumping possibly millions of false positive reference related
errors.  Thanks again for the assistance.
	Josh Green

P.S. Reference debugging seems like a fundamental task in writing medium
to large size GObject based projects.  If anyone has any interest in
refdbg being distributed with gobject (or more closely coupled
distribution wise) just let me know.