Re: gtk-config with GTK+-2.0

Glen Engels wrote:
Hello,

I'm a new linux user trying to configure/install a pre-written program. I'm getting this error:

checking for gtk-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found.

 From this archived post:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2002-August/msg00202.html

It says that gtk-config is no longer used with GTK+-2.0 (which is what I have installed).

You'll need to install gtk-1.2.

Has someone written a gtk-config script that can be used with GTK+-2.0 for the sake of previously written programs, to be able to install them? Or should I assume that the GTK API has changed between 1.2 and 2.0 such that a program expecting 1.2 would not work anyway, and just give up even attempting to install it?

Correct. You can still install it if you have gtk-1.2 installed, which
has gtk-config.