gtk_socket_steal always create an extra toplevel ?

Hi,

I try to use gtk_socket_steal() to embed some legacy application into my gtk
application ... eg, xeyes.   I found the xeyes can't not be child widget of
the gtk application ... it always be a toplevel widget ???

I check the source code, gtk_socket_steal() is in fact calling
gtk_socket_add_window()
which will use a toplevel for foreign window.  Any reason gtk MUST use toplevel
for foreign window ?  Is this a feature or a bug ?

And the document say gtk_socket_steal() is deprecated ??  What's the
replacement ?
I check the source and found gtk_socket_add_id() is in fact same as
gtk_socket_steal().
So will gtk_socket_add_id() be the replacement call of
gtk_socket_steal() ? Thanks

Regards
KC