Re: Problems with pango

David Gasa Castell wrote:
Ok, Mr. Olexiy,

You are right !. I just compiled Gtk+-2.8 (with Glib-2.8, Pango-1.10, Atk-1.10.1, including Cairo-0.9.2 and Glitz-0.4.4) from source without uninstalling old versions before and then, when tried to compile flin.c, the error was find. Also, I set $PKG_CONFIG_PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables but not $LD_RUN_PATH.

I'm working on a FC3 (Heildelberg) OS (not updated, I'll do it right after). Could you tell me how can delete the old ones? Using rpm -e ? against with packages ? and.. After or before the compilation of Gtk+-2.8 ?
Yes, the right way to uninstall software in FC is 'rpm -e', you may want to add '--nodeps' because many packages depend on gtk2, glib2, etc. If you do this before compilation your system functionality will be very limited - think of all programs linked with removed libs.

THIS IS *VERY DANGEROUS*, I'm sure that some applications will stop working - your system's default is gtk+-2.4. Also, there will be problems with future rpm installs - unsatisfied packages dependencies.

If you want just to test gtk+-2.8, you don't need to uninstall anything and even install libraries to the system location. Do the following:
1. Unpack glitz, do
"./configure --prefix=/home/your-home/test-dir"
make, make install.
2. Unpack cairo, do
"export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/your-home/test-dir/lib/pkgconfig"
"export LD_RUN_PATH=/home/your-home/test-dir/lib"
"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/your-home/test-dir/lib"
this will set the env. variables (PKG_CONFIG_PATH for pkg-config, LD_RUN_PATH for ld, LD_LIBRARY_PATH for ld.so), so do all following steps in the same shell,
do:
"./configure --prefix=/home/your-home/test-dir"
make, make install
3. Unpack glib, configure, make, install.
4. The same for atk.
5. The same for pango.
6. The same for gtk.

Now you have all libraries installed under "/home/your-home/test-dir". To compile anything with them you need export env variables like in 2) If you need to run smth you need just LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Try to run Gnome and after than think whether you need to upgrade your system.

	Olexiy