GTK Wikipedia article... recent edits

(apologies if you end up with two copies of this, I sent the first one
from an unsubscribed address).

Hi,

I'm a wikipedia editor, and I spotted someone adding something to the
GTK article and would value seeing a variety of opinions on it.

Here is the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP_Toolkit

It's not a particularly good article, IMO, as it lacks detail and isn't
well organised (I didn't write it) -- so anyone who would like to
improve it, feel free. However, that's not the reason I'm writing this.

This is the edit made by user TAW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
title=GIMP_Toolkit&diff=prev&oldid=20710212

and to put it in context, this is the edit history of the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
title=GIMP_Toolkit&curid=46156&action=history

I reverted the edit (which is why you can't see it when you just visit
the article, rather than delve into its page history). I removed it for
the following reasons:

It's Point Of View: all wikipedia articles must be, or aspire to be,
non-point of view. It's mostly opinion. He was trying to make a case
against GTK, rather than write an encyclopedia article. It's simply not
suitable for an encyclopedia article about GTK (it's not a dev guide or
a howto). User TAW provides a link to a response from Owen Taylor (to
one of TAW's posts) on the gtk-devel list to back up his case:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-August/msg00033.html

and IMO that makes his edit "original research", which is not allowed on
Wikipedia. Wikipedia is supposed to be a repository for established
facts, not every theory out there.

Normally I wouldn't bother your list with something like this -- I just
assumed he was blowing off steam because he didn't get the response he
wanted on the gtk-devel-list. However, he is now querying my removal of
his edit:

"I'm not trying to make any case, I'm merely documenting the facts, and
they're not disputed by anyone. I and Ruby/GNOME2 developers found a
problem that requires a change to Gtk architecture to fix correctly. One
of the Gtk developers that answered agreed that the problem exists, but
he's clear they're not going to fix it. So nobody's disputing the facts.
The problem (cooperation across GC boundaries) is not unusual, it should
be documented in general in any decent reference on GC, and in the Gtk
case it seems it has been already discussed, even as early as 1998, wrt
Guile bindings. If you cared to read No original research, you'd see
quite clearly that this has nothing to do with my edit. Taw 08:29, 12
August 2005 (UTC)"

While I'm convinced his edit is unsuitable, regardless of the merits of
his technical details, Wikipedia works best when lots of people well-
versed in the matter are aware of the edit dispute and the issues around
it.

The discussion is taking place on the article's talk page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:GIMP_Toolkit

And, of course, anyone is very welcome to edit and improve the article
itself.

Thanks.