RE: [gtk+-2.6.7] gtk-demo: No fonts found

> I checked the folder "/usr/local/etc/fonts/" again, there are 3 files
> and 1 directory in it: files: fonts.conf, fonts.dtd, local.conf
> directory: conf.d

Later I went to read the user manual of fontconfig at http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html:
fonts.conf contains configuration information for the fontconfig library consisting of directories to look at for font information as well as instructions on editing program specified font patterns before attempting to match the available fonts. It is in xml format.

Then I examined the file "fonts.conf" in "/usr/local/etc/fonts", which gtk-demo seeks the font info from. Just to find the directory fontconfig designated (/usr/share/fonts) does not exist at all in my machine.

And as I remembered I had met the following error when compiling X11R6.8.2:
making all in fonts/scaled/Type1...
/usr/X11R6/bin/fc-cache   .
/usr/X11R6/bin/fc-cache:No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

I realized the font is in X11 directory, so I changed the directory from "/usr/share/fonts" to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts", and it works now.

Regards,
Xu Qiang