emacs key binding overridden by gnome-spell

I have setup my gtk_key_theme to be Emacs, using

gconftool-2 -s -t string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme Emacs

(there is no menu option to do this in gnome-keybinding-properties).

I have also set this in my ~/.gtkrc-2.0

If I have gnome-spell installed, when I compose a message with
Evolution, the key bindings are windows like, ie ^A selects all, etc.
If I remove gnome-spell, the key bindings revert to Emacs style. How
do I keep gnome-spell and my Emacs binding?

I have noticed this problem for a long while now.

I am running Debian unstable, using sawfish as a window manager.
gnome-about reports version 2.8.3

Anyone know how to solve this?

                        cheers....      Charles.