GTK2 and LD_PRELOAD (and artsdsp)

I have a problem: artsdsp works fine on command-line apps and XMMS (GTK1?)...
however in all GTK2-apps that I've tried (the GNOME sound recorder,
RealPlayer 10, Kino 0.7) it doesn't. Why? (The reason I'm asking here is the
that it is a clear tendency in the GTK2 apps failing).

Background: artsdsp (and esddsp, which has the same problems) is a wrapper
making a /dev/dsp device so that applications only supporting the OSS sound
interface output their sound to arts. It does this through setting LD_PRELOAD
to load fake system libraries that intercept any communication with /dev/dsp.

So, is there a chance that GTK2 or GNOME (or perhaps any Debian-specific
tricks with those, I'm running Debian sarge) overwrites LD_PRELOAD?

No, I can't use OSS natively because the system is always accessed over the
network (ltsp.org setup), and arts in turn uses NAS as output, not OSS or
ALSA.

Any response welcome.

// Dag Sverre