gtk+-2.4.13 and Pango 1.4.1

Hello everyone,

I've just joined this list.  I'm trying to get GTK+ to compile.  I saw a
recent posting that discussed the very problem I'm having, but I still can't
quite get it to work.

This is the output from configure under gtk+-2.4.13.
configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11 target

According to that earlier post on this list:
> As you can see, PangoXft is being built if X and FreeType are
> available and pkg-config is able to locate the Xft library.

So I decided I had to rebuild pango-1.4.1.  First I installed a newer version
of freetype (the old one was ancient, circa 2000) and I reran configure, then
recompiled and reinstalled  pango-1.4.1.  At the end of configure it gave
configuration:
        backends: FreeType X

So it looks like the Xft backend is not being created.  My version of libXft
is from August 8 2001.  One possibility is that it's too old.   If this is
the case, can anyone tell me what version of libXft I need?  I've got
Mandrake 8.0 on this system.  (For weird reasons of hardware compatibility, I
cannot upgrade because newer versions of the kernel are unstable for my
motherboard.)  I hope I can upgrade libXft without reinstalling a whole new
version of XFree86!

Or maybe it just isn't finding the libXft that I have.  When I saved the
stderr output from running the configure scaript on pango, I got the
following messages:

Package xft was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xft.pc'
No package 'xft' found

I don't have an xft.pc file anywhere, nor do I have a PKG_CONFIG_PATH
environment variable.  I just installed pkgconfig, or I wouldn't have gotten
this far.  But there's no man page, and very little documentation on that
script.

Any hints on what I should do next?

Thanks!
Vaughn