Re: what should go into realize for a GtkDrawingArea?

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:22:42 -0600, brian mcandrews
<bmcandrews gmail com> wrote:
> A couple of days ago there was a discussion on drawing in a
> GtkDrawingArea only withing the expose_event handler.  My question is,
> what should go into the realize handler concerning a GtkDrawingArea?

Unless you have a specialized situation, you dont need to do anything in
realize for the drawing area.

The realize vfunc is responsable for the creation of resources needed
for that widget to function, namely the creation of GdkWindows on the
widget->window field (some widgets use this vfunc to create an extra
input-only window etc...).

After realization, a drawing area will have a widget->window available for
drawing, it is also inconcievable that you recieve any "events" before
realization, since events come from the GdkWindow created in realize.

Cheers,
                                      -Tristan