Re: problems when installing gtk+-2.4.13 on SUSE9.1

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 00:09, Alexander Sauter wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> i have exactly the same problem as you had when i try to install
> GTK2.4.13 on my SUSE9.1.
> I saw the tips that Archana gave to you, but i didn�t understand it!!!
> So - what exactly did you do (change some path??) to make it run??
>
> I would be very pleased if you can help me with this problem!!
>

> Best regards
>

> Alex Sauter

Hello,

well, I'm not an expert! Just an amateur! But I can show You the
procedure that I followed. I really do not understand what is behind the
scene.

My questions are:
Which package crashed? Did You followed the order of installing
packages? What was the output and the reason?

Here are the steps for all packages in order:

1. ./configure
2. make
3. make install

Firstly, You have to install dependencies packages like:
pkg-config, the JPEG, PNG, and TIFF libraries and FreeType.
Read the INSTALL and README files (required versions, ...). Follow the
instructions!!!

After that, You can install in order:
1. glib
2. pango
3. atk
4. gtk+ and if You want
5. glade

You will have to setup some system variables before You can install
GTK+: CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, PKG_CONFIG_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH & PATH. Yu can
read about this in
'SOURCE/gtk+-x.x.x/docs/reference/gtk/html/gtk-build.html'.

I never used './configure' option '--prefix='. Just let the package do
the default setup.

So, after installing packages You will have two versions on the system.
The old one in the '/opt/gnome' end the new one in '/usr/local/'.

Suggestion, my basic problems where with the system variables so You
have to setup them correctly!!!

best regards,

Robert Kolozi