Re: another GtkToggleButton signal question

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 19:49 -0700, Neil Zanella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can I also rely on the fact that if a GtkToggleButton is active then a
> function call
> to set its active state to TRUE is not going to trigger a signal. In
> general, is it true
> that signal handlers are invoked when properties are CHANGED BY A FUNCTION
> OR USER ACTION, and not when a function causes the given property to remain
> the same?

> In particular, if a toggle button state is true, then setting it to
> true via a function
> does not generate a signal. Is this concept true for GTK signals in general?

It depends entirely on the signal and property in question. For signals
in GTK+ itself, generally yes (I don't know of a counter-example within
libgdk/libgdk-pixbuf/libgtk offhand). Outside of GTK+ it depends
entirely on the code given. GObject's "notify" signal, for example, is
always emitted when set_property() is called (so "toggled" will only be
fired when the "active" property has changed, whereas "notify::active"
will be fired anytime someone calls 'g_object_set (button, "active",
someval, NULL);'

--
Peace,

    Jim Cape
    http://esco.mine.nu
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "If even one reporter had stood up during a pre-Iraq Bush press
     conference last year and shouted, `Bullshit!' it might have made a
     difference."
        -- Matt Taibbi, New York Press