columned list

Hello all,

Please don't tell me about Columned List being deprecated: I know.

What I would like to ask about it is, when I move with the up and down
arrows, a rectangular box moves, but the blue highlighting stays in the
same place (unlike what happens when I click with the mouse). Could
someone please explain to me what the difference between the two is
(that is, why two different kind of boxes), and how can I bind them
together so they both move when I press the keyboard up and
down arrows?

Thanks,

Neil