Accessing GtkComboBoxEntry's toggle button

Hi,

Is it possible to access the Toggle Button of a GtkComboBoxEntry from outside? I need to hook up an event so that I can populate the GtkComboBox just as the user has requested for the items, hooking up to the toggle button seems to be the best way to do it, I can then intercept what the button is doing, populate the model and then pop down the menu myself.

Is there a standard API to access private features should you want to change the default behavior?

Thanks in advance

Ian King