configuring fontconfig for gtk 2.4

Hello,

I am trying to install gtk 2.4.10 on a debian woody, that is to say I have to do it from the source tarball.
I have compiled and installed all the dependencies, that is to say :
pkgconfig-0.15.0
gettext-0.14.1
expat-1.95.8
glib-2.4.6
freetype-2.1.9
renderext-0.8
libXrender-0.8.4
libXft-2.1.6
fontconfig-2.2.3
pango-1.4.1
atk-1.6.1

Everything seemed to work during this (long) phase at the end of which I could launch gtk-demo successfully.
However, every application based on gtk 2 I start crashes with the following message :

WARNING **: Couldn't load font "Nimbus Sans L"

I have seen questions about this message in the mailing list but no answer to my problem.
I looked at the source code and saw that it was generated by pango which tried to use Xft to load properties about a font.
I commented out the <family> tags in my <install dir>/etc/fonts/fonts.conf about this font, but now it is complaining that :
WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Manzanita 10

and this font is not to be found in fonts.conf. Moreover, if I delete the generated ~/.fonts.cache-1, then I get :
WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font URW Gothic L, 10
but this font is not mentionned in fonts.conf either.

What configuration file told Xft to load those fonts and what font file is it looking for ?

Regards,

PH

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à
l'attention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion,
même partielle, non autorisée est interdite. Tout message électronique est
susceptible d'altération. RTE décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce
message s'il a été altéré, déformé ou falsifié. Si vous n'êtes pas le
destinataire de ce message, merci de le détruire et d'avertir l'expéditeur.

This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the addressees.Any unauthorized use or disclosure, either whole or partial
is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible to alteration. RTE shall not be
liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.