Bindings vs. Signals for key events

Where could I get more information about how signals and bindings are supposed to interact for key event delivery?
(or simply documents describing the use of gtkbindings if there's nothing else available)

My concern is:

Key events are delivered by gtk_window_key_press_event() to any signal event handler registered with the focus widget and then its parent widgets.  If the event is not handled by signal handlers registered with the widget hierarchy, bindings are then activated.

If my understanding is accurate, this would allow a widget's ancestor to override the widget's bindings (such as the movement bindings for a gtklabel) by handling the event in one of the ancestors' signal handlers.  Is this an accurate understanding?  If so, what is the intention of this sequence of event delivery?

Regards,

Sam