Re: Traditional C rejects ISO C

What's "traditional C?"  Is that K&R C, or the C formerly known as
c89, ANSI X3.159-1989?  Then there is ISO C, ISO/IEC 9899:1990.
Then there is C99, ISO 9899:1999.

For the purposes of your question, I'd imagine you are refering to
ISO C as c99 and "traditional C" as c89.  As K&R C does not support
function prototypes, I cannot imagine you are using that original oldie
but goodie.

A good description of the differences between c99 and c89 can be found here:

  http://www.fact-index.com/c/c_/c_programming_language.html

These seem to be the most important differences:

The new features in C99 include:
    * inline functions
    * freeing of restrictions on the location of variable
      declarations (as in C++)
    * addition of several new data types, including long long
      int (to reduce the pain of the looming 32-bit to 64-bit transition),
      an explicit boolean data type, and a complex type representing complex
      numbers
    * variable-length arrays
    * official support for one-line comments beginning with //,
      borrowed from C++
    * several new library functions, such as snprintf()
    * several new header files, such as stdint.h

Interestingly, gcc supports most of c99, but Borland and Microsoft C don't.

Adam
---
Adam Bernstein   no6 pobox com   http://mpgedit.org/~number6
"Who are you?  The new Number 2.  Who is Number 1?  You are, Number 6.
I am not a number, I am a free man!  Aha ha ha ha ha..."
Key fingerprint =  E1 91 49 4C 24 18 E2 04  7A D3 78 A8 86 A9 7C 38