pkd-config issue

Hi, newbie here, trying to install GTK on a pentium4, i686, with RH9 OS on it.  I finally got glib to configure, make, check and install, then when I tried to install atk, I got an error when it queried for glib.  It couldn't find it.  So, after reading up on pkg-config (after looking at the config shell), I noticed that I could set the env variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH for .pc files I'd installed.

So, I looked through the config shell some more and found the default PREFIX setting '/usr/local.'  Under that, in lib/pkgconfig I could see the glib-2.0 I had just installed.  Great!

I setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig (there wasn't such an env var before), and voila!  the shell fails again telling me that it found an older version of glib (which I have never installed).

I'm installing version 2.2.2 of glib, and it's erroring out by finding 2.2.1 of glib.

I've looked through the pkg-config man page, but there doesn't seem to be anything that tells me how to local and remove a specific package, like in this case, the supposed older version of glib-2.2.1.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I'm up against a wall here at the moment.

Thanks.
- Jimbo