Re: Sheet and Drawer widgets

Ken Harris wrote:

It's not something you can really use yet, but it's kind of fun to play
with.  The next step is to make them into real GtkWidgets, and polish
them up so they're usable in real applications.  If you want to help,
please do!  I'm new to Gtk+ and still trying to figure this stuff out.

About the "sheets". I think the concept is excellent, but I'd rather see them as a themable option for modal GtkDialog's rather than a separate widget. It wouldn't make sense for some modal dialogs to pop up as sheets while other doesn't (or would it?).

But isn't this really something that should be (and is best) handled by the window manager? In which case it should really be submitted as a request to extend the ICCCM? Or is everything needed already there?

For the "drawers" I must agree with Maciej on the problem with screen real estate. MS Office has a similar concept, but their "drawers" actually go inside the parent window and steals some space from the parent window contents when they pop up. Although I guess this would be very hard to do properly under X.

--
Christer Palm