RE: button on image

For background, just use resource file.

bg_pixmap[state] = pixmap Sets a background pixmap to be used in place
of the bg color (or for GtkText, in place of the base color. The special
value "<parent>" may be used to indicate that the widget should use the
same background pixmap as its parent. The special value "<none>" may be
used to indicate no background pixmap.