Re: GtkEntry right aligned/justified (and Solution)

Hi Egon!

Egon Andersen wrote:

So, it seems their implementation isn't complete yet...

Well, yours isn't complete either ;-)

I think, they were talking about scrolling and that the solution in 59799 didn't cover it correctly. I checked the scrolling in my version and seems to be ok.

What is missing in 59799 is commented by Owen Taylor, something like the g_return_if_fail and then the description of the functions should be improved.

Yes, I agree. Actually, the whole gtkentry.c could benefit from some more comments...

The solution in 59799 give the possibility to have any alignment, not just right, left and center as your proposal.

This is something I want to discuss. In principle I see no problem in making GtkEntry having any alignment (in [0;1]) and the solution would be straight-forward (given what I have now). But is there any need in having an entry aligned other then left, center, or right? For, a label I see that one might want to have it aligned with a value of 0.1 (so mainly left but also using little space on the left if available), but for a GtkEntry? Would that make sense? Editing a GtkEntry with an alignment of 0.1 might be a strange thing. I only see left, center and right useful like in an text editor: most time you have text left aligned, for numbers you might choose right aligned, and for something pretty, you center it.

Furthermore there must be made test-instructions.

How about, if the entry example covers this? A new choice-type field could be added to the example where the user can select the justification.

Best regards,

   Steffen