Some problems in compiling atk

Dear list members, GTK team!

I've found some problems in compiling atk-1.5.3. ./configure script exits with an error that it cannot find the glib. Ok. I've compiled and installed ( and run ldconfig of course) glib-2.3.2. I've returned to configure atk and it still exits with an error that glib cannot be found. After hours of tinkering with it, i had no other idea and tried to compile and install glib with '--prefix=/usr', and to my surprise atk configure script ran completely. My question is what's wrong with installing glib to /usr/local and why atk configure script does not find it here?

Yours
Tibor Kendl