Pictures with wrong colors

Hello,
I am using GTK 2.2 on a Linux 7.1 Red Hat system. In my program I load
jpeg, and bmp images. When they load, some of the pixels in the images
are not showing their right colors. It looks as if it is showing the
pictures in 16 colors and not in 256 colors. The demo that came with
GTK+2.2 also has the same problems ( pixels are not showing their right
colors).

My other programs like Electric Eye, and Gimp shows the pictures
correctly. I'm wondering if I have to set a palette  or  a total number
of colors configuration in my software.

Thanks,
JAF