Strange font display

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a gtk, gnome, or messed up system in
general problem, but any pointers at all would be greatly
appreciated!

I'm working with getting the chars of an iso8859-1 font to display
in any of the text widgets. I've gotten all of them working by
using g_convert, EXCEPT for one. For some reason the 0xa0
character (an alpha in this font) appears as a blank space. Is
there something special about this particular value? I had
initially thought that it was related to the "hole" that you
generally see in fonts from 0x7f-0xa0, but all of the others in
this range are displaying without a problem. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Brooke