gtk and newlib

I'm porting some embedded code to a Linux host, and I'm using gtk to
emulate the LCD of the embedded device. The embedded code uses some
specific features of newlib that are not in glibc, so I'm linking
against newlib specifically. However, the gtk shared library I'm using
is linked against glibc and I'm disinclined to relink gtk against
newlib.

As I see it, there are at least two major areas of contention.
1. there are two heaps
2. there are two threading libraries

As long as I avoid the g_thread_* functions I should be able to avoid
the second problem, but all the *_new functions that call g_malloc and
glibc's malloc might cause me trouble. Can I instruct g_malloc to use
my (i.e. newlib's) malloc and not glibc's?

Thanks,
Shaun