padding around EventBox child?

(cc me on replies plz)

I'm using a Table widget to layout a bunch of Labels.  Because I want to be
able to set the background color of individual rows I placed each Label in
an EventBox.  I'd like to allow the EventBoxes to fill the space allotted to
them by the Table so the background color of the row is continuous (no Table
background color leaking through between cells), but have some padding
around the Labels so their contents don't all run together.  It doesn't
appear that EventBox widgets provide any sort of padding for their children.
The Container widget's border-width property doesn't seem to do what I want.
With a border-width of 2 I get a gutter between Labels showing the Table's
background color.  Is there another approach (a substitute for the EventBox
perhaps) to this problem?

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro