glib problmes

I've just spent two days trying to compile a version of garnome, and the biggest single problem is glib conflicts.  Yet I get nonsensical error messages about files that don't exist.

Today I went to the gtk+ website, followed all the instructions, downloaded all the tarballs and set out to try and fix it.

Glib can't even find libiconv so I went and downloaded it and installed it.  Tried again it still cannot be found.  Is this logical?  How can you keep putting out packages that clearly don't work together?  Or if it is distro differences, one like of instructions would alert users to potential problems they might have.  Lots and lots of people are having the same problems but getting no resolution or constructive help.  I would very much like to continue to use gnome but this is getting quite silly.

Now after my little tirade.... Can someone please help me get Glib to compile, says it can't find libiconv.

thanks

Jim

Jim Maas
jamaas btinternet com