AIX glib compile error message "gettext not found"

Hi,

I'm trying to compile glib on my AIX 4.3.3 machine. When I run "configure", it gives an error message after a few checks, saying:

checking for locale.h... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking libintl.h usability... no
checking libintl.h presence... no
checking for libintl.h... no
configure: error:
*** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use the
*** GNU gettext library. (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html
The problem is, I have gettext installed on the machine. If I search for it, I can see that:

/usr/local/bin/glib-gettextize
/usr/local/bin/gettext
/usr/local/bin/gettext.sh
/usr/local/bin/gettextize
/usr/local/bin/ngettext
/usr/local/bin/xgettext
/usr/local/lib/gettext
/usr/local/lib/libgettextlib.la
/usr/local/lib/libgettextpo.a
/usr/local/lib/libgettextpo.la
/usr/local/lib/libgettextsrc.la

/usr/local/lib/libintl.a
/usr/local/lib/libintl.la
/usr/local/include/libintl.h
Now, how do I make configure see these?? Can someone please help me as I'm really stuck.

Thanks very much,
Salman