Re: Speed of Gdk-Pixbuf Vs. GdkRGB

On Thursday 22 April 2004 6:48 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

> That's not a backing pixmap, it's a background pixmap. So instead of
> erasing your window background to the background color, the background
> pixmap is being used.

OK. I'm doing some reading-up on this offline now and going throught the
Gtk/Gdk examples.

OK. A further question :)

I understand how the drawing is done to a backing pixmap and then copied to
the screen during an expose event.  However, if I need to update graphics on
the screen asynchronously (i.e. not just when an expose occurs due to a resize
or whatever) I guess I need to (a) update the backing pixmap, then (b) call expose
manually.

I notice the scribble example uses 'gtk_widget_queue_draw_area' to basically call
expose to redraw the bit that's changed.  Is this the approved (and optimal - in a
speed sense) way to do it or just a simplification for the example?

Regards

--
David J. Singer
doc deadvirgins org uk