Re: amd64 as target

Manish Singh wrote:

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 01:21:44AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
Manish Singh wrote:
On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 10:45:52PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
You see, I tried using "env CFLAGS=-m64 configure --libdir=/usr/local/lib64" but it fails, telliiimg me that the gcc can't create executeables. That was for the 64 bit stuff. For the 32 bit stuff, it's bringing in /usr/X11R6/lib64, which is completely wrong for the 32 bit mode.
Sounds like you forgot to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to /usr/lib/pkgconfig
(/usr/lib64/pkgconfig would be the default).

You know, I've loooked around a bit now, just where is the PKG_CONFIG_PATH documented?

In the man page for pkg-config. The webpage even says to look there.

I quote:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH
      A  colon-separated  (on  Windows,  semicolon-separated)  list of
      directories to search for .pc files.  The default directory will
      always be searched after searching the path; the default is lib-
      dir/pkgconfig where libdir is the libdir  where  pkg-config  was
      installed.

But you should really read the whole thing for yourself.
Didn't realize a binary such as pkg-config existed, couldn't find it in the web site (probably, not having that key piece of info lead me to make some wrong assumptions). OK, I can trace all the rest out from this info, I guess.

Thanks very much, I *think* all the rest of my system's problems are dealing with the AMD64's compiler (32 bit versus 64 bit problems, and the fact that the multilib build part of gcc isn't building, killing the -m32 part for me). Darn supplied compiler, they were sharp, they didn't supply a -m32 capable compiler.

-Yosh