Re: GTK Can't Find libtiff

Hi Sven,

Here is the error that comes up for configure while
compiling GTK:

checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... no
checking for TIFFWriteScanline in -ltiff... no
checking for TIFFFlushData in -ltiff34... no
configure: WARNING: *** TIFF plug-in will not be built
(TIFF library not found) ***
configure: error:
*** Checks for TIFF loader failed. You can build
without it by passing
*** --without-libtiff to configure but some programs
using GTK+ may
*** not work properly

Also, here is what I can find for the word "tiff" in
config.log.  I am not sure if this is every instance
that relates to libtiff, but I hope it helps:

ac_cv_lib_tiff34_TIFFFlushData=no
ac_cv_lib_tiff_TIFFReadScanline=no
ac_cv_lib_tiff_TIFFWriteScanline=no

HAVE_TIFF_FALSE=''
HAVE_TIFF_TRUE=''

LIBTIFF=''

configure:23170: checking for TIFFReadScanline in
-ltiff
configure:23201: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall
-L/usr/local/bin conftest.c -ltiff -lm  -lintl  >&5
ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/lib/libtiff.a
is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

| /* We use char because int might match the return
type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would
still apply.  */
| char TIFFReadScanline ();
| int
| main ()
| {
| TIFFReadScanline ();
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:23222: result: no
configure:23363: checking for TIFFWriteScanline in
-ltiff
configure:23394: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall
-L/usr/local/bin conftest.c -ltiff -ljpeg -lz -lm
-lintl  >&5
ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/lib/libtiff.a
is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

Thanks again,
J Silverman