Re: more broken installers

You might try checking the version of Gnome you're
running.  I know that if it isn't the latest, and
you're trying to install the latest version of some
gnome tool, you'll bang into every dependency and
sub-dependency of every library and package that the
tool requires.  Depending on what and how many tools
you install, you may be practically installing the
whole gnome desktop a piece at a time!

The simplest solution may be to start by installing
the latest version (2.4.4) of the desktop, which will
have latest of all the packages and libraries the
tools depend on.  I think you'll find you'll have a
much better time of it.