Re: Displaying raw data.

Yes, that's about the fastest you can get. GdkRGB does quite a bit of work behind the scenes (using shared memory to talk to the server when possible, etc) to get the speed up. There's a benchmark program in the gtk1.2 distribution (testrgb I think) which you could try.

It might be worth checking that dithering is off. For good results you'll need a mono 8 bit screen, or a 24 bit truecolour though (obviously).

Alastair Basden wrote:
I have an application which wishes to display raw data (eg a char array)
in a window.  What is the best widget for doing this?
At the moment I am using a gtk_drawing_area and gdk_draw_gray_image.  Is
this the best option, bearing in mind that I wish to regularly redraw the
data (at >1Hz rate) and therefore need efficient drawing?
(I am stuck using gtk 1.2 as gtk 2 isn't yet converted for this platform
(qnx).).