Re: GTK+-2.3.0 released [unstable]

 On Saturday October 25 2003 00:35 CEST, Owen Taylor wrote:

 > GTK+-2.3.0 is now available

 Hi Owen,

 thanks for this news that will make happy a lot of people!

 And while being happy about that news i was becomming some
 ideas. Could be some criticize on Gtk+. But please take it
 easy. Nobody needs to be tired! Cause nobody's perfect...

 ...Last months i wrote an application with Gtk+2.x. For the
 file selection i used GtkFileSelection and for a tree view
 GtkTreeView.

 My statement:

 Now GtkCTree is not very old but deprecated. What's about
 GtkFileSelection? Du i need to update my source code in
 the next three months?

 If yes i think: "HELP!!! how much time i will need for
 maintaining my source codes!"

 I'm thinking that this question never should be called.
 And now?

 I know that old ideas sometimes needs to be fallen down.
 And i didn't forget that now Gtk+ is in a development
 step called version 2.x (the stable one). But there is an
 idea that i saw in reallity:

 If i like to install any for M$-Windows 1995 written
 application on a $Windows XP system (since 2000) there are
 no problems while using these very old binaries on a modern
 PC system. But installing Gtk+ application binaries,
 written in 2002, will make big problems for big projects
 if i like to install them on a one year newer OS(with Gtk+)?

 On modern PC systems (most have them) isn't it possible to
 keep old traditions? If a developer needs to update some
 source code to the newest feautures of Gtk+ he will do this!

 And while the old, older and oldest code is running perfect
 or good enough, why removeing those code? Isn't it equal
 wheter a great library like Gtk+ needs 10 or 20 MB on hard
 disk?

 Have a nice day!

 Mathew

 --